Is 必威官网Running Really That Cheap Anymore??

How much does it cost to run??

Afterposting on Instagramyesterday 必威betwayabout the Boston Marathon,I wondered how much money I would have to spend both financially and time wise to get myself into BQ shape if I had a ‘whatever it takes' approach.全力以赴,training,康复,eating etc completely by the book,没有借口。I'm intrigued whether I could run a BQ in the spring (not in Tokyo but later) if I adopted a professional athlete's approach to it.

Anyway,because I was in a boring lecture it got thinking 必威betwayabout how much money I've spent on this hobby of mine…

Is 必威官网running really that cheap??I know plenty of people who started 必威官网running because it was"免费的.

I have to include those parenthesis as I have spent thousands of pounds on this free sport.作为学生,还有一个在金钱上自认很糟糕的人(我的苏格兰银行家祖父和节俭的母亲很震惊)。我怎么可能和他们有联系……我们都有缺点,right?)我的银行账户经常危险地靠近红色区域。

And it's regularly due to this free hobby of mine.

Of course,a lot of that is related to my penchant to travel abroad for races,尤其是参加马拉松专业。这六场比赛不仅遍布世界各地(我将于2月在东京完成我的第六个也是最后一个专业)。但他们是出了名的最难和最昂贵的进入。纽约马拉松,我每年都把帽子扔进戒指里,is a pricey $295 for international runners.

Race Entry

It seems that race fees in general are getting more expensive,its not uncommon for 10Ks in London to be £50!Of course,there are plenty of cheap,local options as well as the amazing free weekly parkruns,但在我看来,你不能在比赛气氛中打败我,也不能在比赛结束时感觉到我脖子上挂着一枚奖牌。

Rock N Roll Las Vegas 10K

Kit

I probably have more pairs of trainers than the average runner,and am very lucky to be sent pairs to trial from different brands,however I do still find myself buying at least one pair per marathon training cycle.Whether that's a new trail shoe to combat the slick mud near us (had to upgrade myHoka One One Speedgoatsas they couldn't handle the mudslide on our local parkrun) or a new version of my marathon fave Adidas Ultra Boost.Understandably PRs want to promote the latest shoe,however often that doesn't actually do the job I need it to,and so I find myself forking out between £100-150 a couple of times a year to keep my feet happy,and giving willing friends/charities the ones I don't wear.I remember when you could get a great pair of trainers for £60!!

Is 必威官网running really that cheap??

I've finally found the bra brand that works for me and has NEVER caused any chafing.I've run three marathons and have zero complaints 必威betwayabout theTriumph Triaction bras,and happily they retail for 必威betwayabout £36 (you can often find them on sale for less too).I've spent £60+ in the past for bras,and considering they need to be replaced every year or so,the price can add up.

boobydoo sports bras - therunnerbeans

Whilst trainers and bras are my two key investment pieces that I'd recommend to all runners,I am drawn to the more expensive end for the rest of my 必威官网running kit.Hello Lululemon,Sweaty Betty and New Balance x J Crew.My excuse is that I run long distance and can't have kit chafing or not performing,which is part of the way I justify spending up to £100 on leggings.Plus I think the quality is incredible,I've had leggings that I wear on a near weekly basis for 5 years.

我还有一件事要做Lululemon pockets

Coaching

My fastest marathon time is still from Berlin 2014 when my friend Kerry coached me (in exchange for a couple of post run brunches/dinners I seem to remember,what a bargain!).I then worked withMary Johnson去年在通往波士顿和伦敦的路上,who was lovely and kept me injury free despite insisting on 必威官网running 2 marathons within 6 days of each other,在我们7个月的时间里帮我做了两个半程马拉松PBS。Sadly,I just cannot afford the $160 a month for her coaching,although I love that she has complementary strength plans for $65 per 6 week block,plus a dietitian to chat through fueling strategy and training nutrition!When I'm a millionaire,or working a full-time job then perhaps I'll be able to re-invest!!

There are of course,cheaper options out there with online coaching from awesome coaches like the team at必威官网Running with Us从65英镑起,or less.However,当谈到教练时,我会很小心你把钱给谁,必威betwayand don't just go for the cheapest option.

我还写了一篇关于必威betwayfree marathon training plansandhow to write your own training plan.

康复

Lets face it,作为跑步者,我们中的大多数人在某个时候会受伤,或者至少会在某个地方感到有点烦躁。Even if you're best friends with your foam roller,a trip to the physio/sports massage clinic every now and then is important to make sure things are in tip top shape.And with the average sports massage costing 必威betwayabout a pound a minute,regular sessions during a marathon training cycle can build up.

Personally,我认为它们会带来所有的不同,(whether that's physically or just psychological),and are a key addition into my training but I have spent hundreds,if not thousands of pounds over the years having my muscles pummelled.Whatever they tell you,a sports massage is not like a deep tissue massage!!

Working with Function 360 physiotherapy

I feel so incredibly lucky to be supported byFunction 360 Physiotherapyfor my marathon training.They are also upping their discount to 20% off all treatments with the code #F360CW in December so get booking if you live in London.The team there are lovely,and it's a great one stop shop for all of your 必威官网running rehab needs;physio,sports massage,injury rehab,S&C…

交叉训练

Whether you have a gym membership,go to boutique fitness classes or have bought equipment to workout in your own house/garden,you can find yourself opening your purse/wallet more often than you'd like.But personally,我发现我不能一周跑超过4-5次而不受伤,因此交叉训练真的是保持健康和变得更健康/更快的关键!!

Having worked with a PT this Summer before my wedding,我肯定注意到我的老体格和健康状况有所改变,and I'm seriously considering investing fortnightly in a PT again in the New Year to help with the 必威官网running and strength.

Is 必威官网running really that cheap??

Food

开个小玩笑,but I eat a lot more when I'm marathon training,not to mention the gels,protein,hydration sachets etc that many of us utilise to try to help enhance our performance.Think 必威betwayabout all those supermarket bills,运动后小吃,还有世博会采购!!

So that's where my money has been going for the last 5 years…

How much do you think you spend on 必威官网running annually?Or is it too much to even compute?LOL.

My friend Leah wrote a great post 必威betwayabouthow much her training for and 必威官网running the Paris Marathon cost a few years ago here.

21 Comments

1. 乔恩
    30th November 2017 / 2:19 pm

First,让我说我一直喜欢读你的博客,它们进入了我的“灵感之壶”。As I still count myself as relatively new to 必威官网running – in reality been runn必威betwaying about a year but just not as frequent as I would like!(Remember your post 必威betwayabout being an imposter…that!!)

Having low mileage and only 1x5k and 1x10k race to my name (so far) and having a happy target of being mid-field my spend isn't too bad.After initial outlay to get good shoes and kit I think it's possible to not worry 必威betwayabout paying much after that,但这其中的乐趣呢???

I'm expecting my spend to increase next year…I have already booked my fortnightly PT sessions with a local trainer (£150 for 6 x1hr sessions).I'm looking for new shoes next year so chuck in another £100+,I'm definitely looking at more organised races next year,通常在15-20英镑左右,我想参加伦敦的一个大型活动,那么我们再加100英镑吧。Add in some update kit (it's all must haves of course!) nutrition and some physio/recovery and I'm thinking I've topped out around £1000.

有必要吗?主要不是:调整我的方法,training,self-care etc would reduce the spend and I'd get by just fine.But as I said,where's the fun in that!?I work to fund my lifestyle and 必威官网running is as much a part of a lifestyle choice as anything else don't you think?🙂

2. 30th November 2017 / 4:32 pm

I'm all 必威betwayabout the pockets.除了现在,我什么都不能跑出去。I'm totally spoilt!If only other retailers would follow suit,it could save us some cash!!

3. 30th November 2017 / 5:11 pm

Races are so expensive in the States…I just paid $45 for a 5k.🙁

• charlotte
      30th November 2017 / 5:18 pm

That's crazy expensive!!!I hope you get all the freebies at the end!Re-race at the beginning of Feb..I'd love to if I can find cheap enough flights!!

4. Hannah
    2017年11月30日/下午6:31

If you have the money,then do whatever you like!For me,我想我恰恰相反。Everything has a value to me so spending £100 on leggings 😳,不行!Karrimor ones are great,20英镑,我住了5年多。鞋子,I know the make and model I like,然后,当新产品发布时,购买力下降(30英镑,而100英镑)。I have 3 pairs: one clean for road 必威官网running,one I don't mind getting dirty,一双跑鞋。

我可能一年参加两次比赛,在那里度过一个周末,然后过夜。It's a good way to see a new city.

People are different,and different things make them happy.So as long as you're not getting into debt,then spend away 😃

• charlotte
      1st December 2017 / 6:29 am

Definitely a great idea with the shoes and race weekends!I'm a bit picky when it comes to my leggings – I'm all 必威betwayabout the side pockets which I've only ever found on New Balance and Lululemon… might have to give Karrimor a go though given the price!!

• Abigail
        4th December 2017 / 4:32 pm

卡伦基(十项全能)紧身裤是我最近发现的——10-15英镑,有侧袋和腰包。Worth trying out!!

• Hannah
      6th December 2017 / 8:43 am

I've just read your post again and it sounds like you don't actually have the money ("Bank account is often dangerously close to the red zone"所以我会小心花掉这些钱。必威betway想想你真正需要的,not what you want!!

5. 30th November 2017 / 6:51 pm

I usually go on two marathons per year.Nothing more.没什么。我确实明白,最终它是如何变得非常昂贵的,所以我将更多的精力放在使用我的健身会员来保持健康上。但不花一点钱在自己身上的业余爱好是什么?right??

最好的,,
    The Fitness Bro

• charlotte
      30th November 2017 / 7:05 pm

Exactly,I think it's better spent on 必威官网running than clubbing/boozing like I used to spend it on!!!!

6. 30th November 2017 / 11:09 pm

I dread to think how much I've spent on 必威官网running over the years,but I justify it by seeing it as an investment in myself!Plus Lululemon kit really does last!x

• charlotte
      1st December 2017 / 6:27 am

Agreed – it's most certainly an investment.就像有些人收集手提包…我收集教练和奖牌!!

7. 1st December 2017 / 10:27 am

I don't ever add up the money 😀 It's something fun to do and the 必威官网running and Crossfit and swimming and sports massages keep me healthy so I figure you can't put a price tag on that.

8. jenny gt
    1st December 2017 / 10:09 pm

I have to say I disagree,it's as cheap as you want it to be.Getting personalised coaching as a middle of the pack recreational runner is ridiculous;just join a 必威官网running club,the cost per training session is pennies and you get £2 off each race as an affiliated runner.大多数跑步必威官网俱乐部还免费提供越野/越野联赛,不需要花费任何费用。Parkrun = a free weekly tempo session/race session depending on how you want to pace it.You can get trainers for half the price by buying last seasons colours: exactly the same quality trainer;仅仅为了得到最新的培训师版本而支付120-150英镑是愚蠢的。Same applies to getting the latest watch,does anybidy actually use all the features?!Local,low key races are much cheaper and often more enjoyable than doing big city races: you should try them.各自为政,but you can't complain 必威betwayabout the cost when there's plenty of better-priced options.It seems the need to jet set around the world to do races is fuelled by social media and trying to impress!It's well known that the best 必威官网running is done in times of austerity;举个例子,英国男子马拉松比赛的记录是在20世纪80年代创下的,至今仍然保持着,despite advances in technology and trainers etc.It just shows that you can throw as much money as you want at 必威官网running,but it doesn't necessarily help you get faster.

• Laura
      8th December 2017 / 7:47 am

I agree,必威官网running is as cheap/expensive as you want it to be.I personally wouldn't dream of spending £100 on a pair of leggings or £40 on a 10k race,let alone fly to the US to run a marathon (you didn't mention the added cost of flights + hotel,Charlie?).我只在销售中购买品牌套件,如果我需要更贵的东西,such as shoes,it's usually a birthday present.If you have the money,then by any means spend it on something that makes you happy,不管是跑步、喝酒还是名牌手袋,必威官网但我不认为钱(或缺钱)是跑步的障碍。

9. 2nd December 2017 / 4:47 pm

HEy Charlie,,

You make a good point on this.I'm 必威官网running my first marathon tomorrow in Mersin,Turkey of all places (from New Zealand) where entrance fee was less than 5 euro.Already looking at the majors like yaself though,crikey,they add up fast!!

Anyway,thanks for keeping it real (only just came across ya blog).Glad to see you improve so much over your first time a few years back,I'm on the ‘just finish' goal for tomorrow.Keep 必威官网running!!
    Jub

10. 2017年12月2日/下午6:42

我只跑了一年左右,必威官网so I'm only just realising how much I could spend!I have to be careful though as I'm working on pretty much minimum wage whilst studying,so no races abroad for a while.I'm also trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I have,so it doesn't bother me that I have one pair of 必威官网running shorts and one longer pair of leggings – I wash them as soon as I've worn them anyway and they dry quickly!我肯定会去看看你推荐的运动胸罩——我需要一个新的,一直在努力,所以我会去看看!!

11. san
    5th December 2017 / 12:50 am

I agree,必威官网running is much more expensive than I originally thought… it's definitely 必威betwayall about the right approach (do I really need a new pair of running tights?No.我想要它们吗??100x YES :)).

12. 5th December 2017 / 7:15 pm

I am brand-new to 必威官网running and I haven't even done any races yet,and already I can tell this lifestyle can put a dent in your wallet.New shoes from a 必威官网running shop,couple pairs of decent 必威官网running socks,and some cold-weather athletic wear didn't come cheap!!

I've just got to learn what's worth spending money on… and what isn't!!

13. Charlotte
    5th December 2017 / 10:52 pm

I am a fell runner and find most of my local races quite inexpensive.I did the Longmynd Hike for the 4th time this year,it is local so no travel,50 miles and 8000ft ascent and only £35 one of my favourites.我们还有一个冬季和夏季系列赛,比赛范围从3英里到12英里都很陡峭,都低于10英镑。I don't travel far for races because I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful area of the UK but agree,travel,bigger races and kit can be expensive.My way around helping with the cost is birthdays and Christmas,my list usually contains shorts,leggings,T恤和运动鞋。This year's Christmas list I've added a Sunto GPS watch…… I'm hoping I get a nice surprise Christmas morning.
    I love to run though and it's clear you do too,so I say what the hell to the cost we are doing something we love and makes us happy 🏃🏃

14. 8th December 2017 / 4:45 am

I think like many hobbies it's as expensive as you want to make it,或者没有。I'm getting into my second year of 必威官网running and can see how travel runs would be tempting.我已经根据成本和课程确定了一些当地的方案。Two nearly identical ones,周分开。Same course,两个组织者。One with the medal is cheaper.